Discover a city within a city by following the old often-overlooked exit signs of the passageways in the heart of Athens.
Let Natassa Pappa, the author of the guidebook Into Stoas, guide you and walk together in the intermediate of the Athenian urban fabric, a space that even locals leave unnoticed. Observe urban details, vernacular typography, unique family stores, and get to know the city’s oral history and urban transformation.
- Explore the underlying network of stoas in the heart of Athens, where postwar architecture coexists with the 20s and 30s.
- Get to know about the transformation of the city, and how locals still connect with it.
- Find yourself in the intermediate of the Athenian urban fabric, observe the stoas’ character and get to know their urban myths.
- Learn about the disappearing exit signs, vernacular typography, and how people choose to navigate in the city.
- Discover expertized family stores, get to know about their techniques, life and business into stoas.
Bookings upon request
Starting point Syntagma
any day except Sundays
Duration 2 hours
“Fans of typography, architecture and quirky old shops will love her Into Stoas trips.”
Athens city guide: what to see plus the best bars, hotels and restaurants, The Guardian
“You may end up discovering something more than a city; you may end up discovering yourself.”
Follow the Exit Sign, Greece Is
“Natassa Pappa has found a way to import some of that order into the grit and chaos of downtown Athens.”
A design for life, e-kathimerini
A tour that submerges you in capsules of space-time, Ling magazine
“Learning about the labyrinth of Athens and the culture and history of its ‘stoas’ is one of the most fascinating of all my explorations into the urban makeup of the city.”
72 Hours in modern Athens – the misunderstood metropolis, Borders of Adventure